Director of Engineering, was leading the team working on Dell Cloud Manager (formerly Enstratius, acquired by Dell in 2013). I was lead developer of Nimbus for seven years, a pioneering effort in cloud computing (it predates EC2).
I'm most interested in distributed systems, security, uptime, operations tools, and databases. Always open to new ideas, tools, languages, and services that allow small teams or individuals to make large impacts.
Find me online
LifeI am married and raising three kids in Madison, WI. Besides being an awesome place to live, there's a lot of software/startup stuff here. If you're doing anything like that, don't hesitate to get in touch.
- MS in Computer Science. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- BS in Philosophy. St. John's College, Annapolis, MD.
- Managing Appliance Launches in Infrastructure Clouds, Bresnahan, J., Freeman, T., LaBissoniere, D., Keahey, K. Teragrid 2011. Salt Lake City, UT. July 2011.
- Cumulus: An Open Source Storage Cloud for Science, Bresnahan, J., LaBissoniere, D., Freeman, T., Keahey, K. ScienceCloud 2011, San Jose, CA. June 2011.
- Improving Utilization of Infrastructure Clouds, Marshall, P., Keahey K., Freeman, T. IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2011, Newport Beach, CA. May 2011.
- Elastic Site: Using Clouds to Elastically Extend Site Resources, Marshall, P., Keahey K., Freeman, T. IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2010, Melbourne, Australia. May 2010.
- Dynamic virtual AliEn Grid sites on Nimbus with CernVM, Harutyunyan, A., Buncic, P., Freeman, T., Keahey, K., Journal of Physics Conf. Series 219. 2010.
- Contextualization: Providing One-Click Virtual Clusters, Keahey, K., T. Freeman. eScience 2008, Indianapolis, IN. December 2008.
- On the Use of Cloud Computing for Scientific Workflows, Hoffa, C., G. Mehta, T. Freeman, E. Deelman, K. Keahey, B. Berriman, J. Good. SWBES 2008, Indianapolis, IN. December 2008.
- Science Clouds: Early Experiences in Cloud Computing for Scientific Applications, Keahey K., T. Freeman. Cloud Computing and Its Applications 2008 (CCA-08), Chicago, IL. October 2008.
- Flying Low: Simple Leases with Workspace Pilot, Freeman, T., K. Keahey. Euro-Par 08, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. August 2008
- Enabling distributed petascale science, Baranovski, A. et al. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 78. 2007
- Virtual Workspaces for Scientific Applications, Keahey, K., T. Freeman, J. Lauret, D. Olson. SciDAC 2007 Conference, Boston, MA. June 2007
- Enabling Cost-Effective Resource Leases with Virtual Machines, Sotomayor, B., K. Keahey, I. Foster, T. Freeman. HPDC 2007 Hot Topics session
- A Scalable Approach To Deploying And Managing Appliances, Bradshaw, R., N. Desai, T. Freeman, K. Keahey. TeraGrid 2007, Madison, WI. June 2007
- Division of Labor: Tools for Growth and Scalability of Grids, Freeman, T., K. Keahey, I. Foster, A. Rana, B. Sotomayor, F. Wuerthwein. ICSOC 06, Chicago, IL. December 2006
- A Multipolicy Authorization Framework for Grid Security, Lang, B., Ian Foster, Frank Siebenlist, Rachana Ananthakrishnan, Tim Freeman. Accepted by the IEEE NCA06 Workshop on Adaptive Grid Computing (to appear in Proc. Fifth IEEE Symposium on Network Computing and Application), Cambridge, USA, July 24-26, 2006.
- Virtual Clusters for Grid Communities, Foster, I., T. Freeman, K. Keahey, D. Scheftner, B. Sotomayor, X. Zhang. CCGRID 2006, Singapore, May 2006.
- Identity Federation and Attribute-based Authorization through the Globus Toolkit, Shibboleth, Gridshib, and MyProxy, Tom Barton, Jim Basney, Tim Freeman, Tom Scavo, Frank Siebenlist, Von Welch, Rachana Ananthakrishnan, Bill Baker, Monte Goode, and Kate Keahey. 5th Annual PKI R&D Workshop, April 2006.
- An Edge Services Framework (ESF) for EGEE, LCG, and OSG, Rana, A., F. Wuerthwein, K. Keahey, T. Freeman, et. al. Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics 2006 (CHEP), February 2006, T.I.F.R. Mumbai, India
- Virtual Workspaces: Achieving Quality of Service and Quality of Life in the Grid, Keahey, K., I. Foster, T. Freeman, and X. Zhang. Scientific Programming Journal, vol 13, No. 4, 2005, Special Issue: Dynamic Grids and Worldwide Computing, pp. 265-276
- Virtual Workspaces in the Grid, Keahey, K., I. Foster, T. Freeman, X. Zhang, D. Galron. Europar 2005, Lisbon, Portugal, September, 2005.
- Authorization and Account Management in the Open Science Grid, Lorch, M. Kafura, D. Fisk, I. Keahey, K. Carcassi, G. Freeman, T. Peremutov, T. Rana, A.S. 6th IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing, 2005. (abstract)